The sanding belts are highly efficient and convenient for people who are working with metal and wood. This is a highly versatile tool that could make your work easy. The sanding belts allow its users to perform any kind of grinding and sanding activity without any hassle. When it comes to the most important component of a sanding belt is abrasive that usually comes in contact with the workpiece and performs grinding.
Belt sanders are used for multiple things. These are mostly used for leveling the surface, sanding the rough surface, and rounding and shaping. Most of the bladesmiths use this belt for knife making, sword making, and ax making services. These are also used by welders and perfect for scribbling. But to use sanding belts for these purposes, you need to choose a good one.
How to choose the right Sanding Belts?
Choosing the right knife making sanding belts is a tough task because if you choose a bad sanding belt, then it may cause damages to your properties and the belt sander. Choosing the sanding belt that can fit your work may be confusing. When you visit any online store, then you watch the huge collection of sanding belts there with different specifications. It is tough to choose one among them, especially if you are a beginner.
Tips to find the Right Sanding Belt
- Choose the right size
Getting the right size sanding belt is necessary. If you want to complete your job successfully, then you should choose the sanding belt, which can go with your type of work. If you are looking to use this belt for heavier work, then you should choose the 40 to 60 grit.
If you are looking to purchase a sanding belt for removing blemishes or smoothing the surface, then choose 80 to 120 grit. Simultaneously, if you are purchasing this for giving finishing to the surface, then 350 to 600 grit is the ideal choice. So, it’s necessary to choose grit according to your job.
- Easy to handle
Always go for the sanding belts that are light weighted, smaller, and convenient for work. Don’t choose that looks bulkier and high cost.
How to use the Sanding Belts?
If you are a beginner, then you should be aware of some of the tricks and tips to use this. Here we provide some major ones!
- While working with the sanding belts, protect yourself. For better protection, you can wear a safety glass. A face shield will also work to keep you away from the dust.
- Before working, make sure that it is in good condition. Make sure that the wheel, roller, drum of the belt is in the right position and works well.
- You should adjust the speed of the belt according to your work type. When you are working in a greater surface area, then you should make the speed higher. But at the same time, if you are working in the minimum space, then make it speed lower.
- Always try to keep your sanding belt clean and keep your eye on the maintenance. As time goes the effectiveness of the belt is decreased. You can apply a grease stick to it.
- While sanding, makes sure that you are not going from side to side. Always try to move from forward to backward. In this way, you can prevent the risk of damages and skid.
- Along with this, you can also talk with the experts and check the videos on the internet if you are using this for a very short time.
By following all the above tips, you can use these knife-making sanding belts effectively. The knife-making sanding belts are used to give the final touch and finishing to the non-metal materials. It helps you to make your surface smooth and removes all the scuffs from the materials.