You heard or read about this new term cyber threat Ransomware on the newspaper, website, and news or on social network etc. But before we are going to know what is this instead have to know the meaning of the ransom. Have you heard word “Ransom money”? No. okay let’s go.
Whenever a kidnapper kidnaps a boy or a girl and demands big amount of money from the parents to relieve his/her that money is known as Ransom money. Likewise in the terms of computer, someone changes your all the data on your computer and demands money to undo changes made by him/her that is known as ransom thing.
From the above little bit discussion, I hope you have little bit idea about the Ransomware.
“It is malicious software which enters in your computer/laptop/mobile and encrypts (coded form) all the data and demands money to decrypt it”
Cyber Threat Ransomware, What happen when it enters into your system?
First of all it encrypts most of the files which does not require administrator access. It puts one notepad file in each and every folder which I have shown below.
It requires some private key to decrypt it, but for that you have to give some money in the form of bitcoin (Digital Money). If you ready to pay it by bitcoin, then they further demand for more amount money. So don’t pay for it and keep daily backup of your important data.
How does it enter into our system?
Oh, there are so many ways it can enter into your system. Like it can be entered through malicious email, pen drive, while you download/upload files from the internet, data sharing through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
Keep Your System Protected, what are the steps you have to take to prevent from it?
- Update your operating system patches.
Configure MAC Automatic updates
Configure Windows System Automatic updates
Security Patches and OS upgrade
- Install best antivirus (Quick heal) or if it already then make up to date it.
- Install anti Ransomware software and make up to date it.
- In windows firewall, you have to disable UDP port no 137,138 and TCP port no 139,445.
- Do not download/upload from the malicious website.
- Do not open unrelated email and don’t try to download attachment from the unknown email.(specially do not open that which has tasksche.exe”
- Scan pen drive before you use with updated antivirus.
- Do not download unknown file from the messaging app like WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, Snapchat, hike etc.
- Change your user control setting and make it high. So operating system can ask you before execute any task by itself.
- Backup your data daily. If some system does not require internet connection, then make it offline.
- If you found any system affected with Ransomware, then disconnect it from the network so spreading of it can be prevented.