Are you familiar with the functions of a torque wrench? Here is an overview of the different types available.
Buying workshop equipment usually is confusing, especially when you have to compare different brands, features, and usage of the tool. Besides, there are factors like price, which may influence a customer to buy the machine that best suits the pocket but has many satisfying features. If you are stuck at comparing prices, a digital torque wrench in India may cost cheaper than the tag on the same item in your country of residence.
Also, buying the wrong tool that does not fit the purpose is an incorrect purchase. When a buyer is not knowledgeable about the types of devices, there can be a mix-up whereby a digital torque wrench in India gets purchased instead of a micrometer. The torque wrench is an equipment that enables a person to measure the amount of torque when tightening a loose bolt to its socket.
Small Torque Wrench
Small size torque wrench models range from 30-200in. Lbs. (4-22Nm). Also, their square drive varies at ¼” or 3/8”. Its usage is in transmission servicing. The tool gets used daily with applications that require low force.
Medium Torque Wrench
The tool has a low range that lies between 20-30 ft-lbs. (17-34Nm). The high range lies at approximately 250 ft-lbs (332 Nm). Also, their square drive ranges at 1/2”.
Large Torque Wrench
The tool has a range that lies up to 1000 ft-lbs. (1320Nm). They are available for industrial uses. It fixes and maintains heavy automotive-like trucks and machinery.
For many years, the determining factors of purchasing a torque wrench were durability and longevity.
The Deflecting Beam Torque Wrench
It is an Australian design that has over 50 years of trial and testing. The deflecting beam is the application of the tool. The force applied on the shaft ensures that the shaft does not wear out faster and provides accuracy rather than using power on a coil spring, which causes damage to the wrench. It comes with a signal feature in both audio and visual that informs the user when it reaches the desired force.
- Accurate and reliable
- It has a simple design
- It misses a ratchet head
- It only tightens bolts in one direction
- Beware of clones!
The Micrometer Torque Wrench
It is the most common type of torque wrench in mechanical workshops due to the versatility of the tool. The handle gets twisted to the point that matches the desired force setting located on the tool’s barrel. Then, the handle rotates clockwise, which tightens a spring inside the wrench. A click sound should confirm that no further torque is needed.
- It tightens in both left-hand and right-hand tasks
- The click feature enhances its performance
- It has an auto-reset feature
- The sturdy, robust design is suitable for daily use
- It requires re-calibration on a regular interval as a result of wear and tear of coil springs
- Prices vary depending on the place of production and branding. Cheaper models wear out faster
The Dial Torque Wrench
This tool is known for its accuracy on the final readings, which are hard to alter even when holding the wrench by your hand. Mostly used in automotive, aerospace and, defensive industries Features include:
- It has a broader design as compared to the other wrench types
- Presence of a dial scale torque determiner
- Extremely accurate
- It is more expensive
- It is hard to use in tight conditions
- The dial scale must be available to measure force
The Electronic or Digital Torque Wrench
The features include:
- A screen that displays a digital readout and to program the limit of torque
- It has the strain gauge, which sends a signal via the digital LED reading into a transducer
- It has a torsion rod
- LED lights notify a user when the torque limit gets reached
- Some advanced models have an internal memory chip that records measurement into a database for future reference
- The internal chip that keeps records is beneficial during audits
- The price of the tool is becoming cheaper
- It is available for automotive mechanics
- Redundancy in functionality
The Angle Torque Wrench
The device is for the torque that is necessary to favor applications with specifications just for cylindrical head bolts, bearing caps, and suspension parts. It has similar functionality with the electronic torque wrench but, it has some added features like angle rotation during nut tightening.
- Affordable and widely available
- Redundancy in functionality
The Detachable Torque Wrench
It has a kit that contains adapters like the ratchet head. The heads are removable, making it usable as a screen wrench or a torque wrench with an open end.
- It is affordable
- Suitable for use in many applications